Hiring managers spend an average of six to 20 seconds on the initial review of a candidate’s resume. That’s right. Seconds. So you need to ensure that yours instantly grabs and holds their attention when it comes to the value you can add to a job.
Snapshot of a Strong Resume
As you vie for your next skilled labor position, make sure your resume leads with key skills and qualifications that pertain to the position being offered. Employers will look for:
- A demonstrated ability to work in an environment similar to theirs – whether it’s a construction site, a manufacturing plant or healthcare or another specialized facility.
- A strong understanding of safety guidelines and parameters.
- Proficiency with tools, equipment, hardware, and software.
- Knowledge of and ability to execute written plans and instructions.
- Robust internal and external customer service skills – to effectively serve both the end-user and fellow team members who work downstream on your process.
Follow your list of skills and qualifications with your chronological employment history, education, and related experience – as it pertains to the job. If it’s irrelevant, it’s time to edit if off your resume.
Related Article: Unique Ways to Improve Your Resume
Be Specific on Your Resume
To ensure success in your job search, you’ll need more than one resume – or at least more than one variation of your original version. Carefully review the job description or posting and tailor your resume to the skillset being sought by the employer.
Bullet points work well for listing relevant details. Here are a few examples:
- “Proficient with forming, concrete placement, vibrating, finishing, rebar ties, excavations, backfill, pipe laying, demolition, saw cutting, scaffold erection, asphalt paving, material handling, and hand, air and power tools.
- “Skilled at the usage of skid steer compact and track loaders, IT series and 950H and 950F series front-end loaders, power industrial and all-terrain forklifts, aerial and scissor lift operations, vibratory wheel drum and slotted driven soil compactors.”
Keep Your Resume Current
Make it a point to refresh your resume annually. True, this is easier said than done, but it’s the easiest way to have it polished up and ready to go when you need it.
- Reflect on your recent accomplishments and milestones. A training program you’ve completed, a certification you’ve earned or a team project you’ve helped implement could all be valuable additions to your resume.
- Start and maintain a kudos file. List professional achievements as you complete them and save emails and other related documentation. Include numbers and quantifiable detail expressed in terms of percentages of improvement, dollars saved, and before-and-after comparisons. Recording this valuable data while it’s fresh in your mind means you won’t have to dig and search for it later on.
For more help with resumes as well as networking, interviewing and all the nuts and bolts of your job search, contact Chicago manufacturing staffing experts, Premium Staffing today.
Engineer Your Career
You’re not looking for just a job. As a highly-skilled manufacturing or engineering professional, every decision you make has the potential to change your entire career trajectory.
You need a partner to help you engineer your career.
Leverage Premium Staffing’s client network to target key companies. Find a position that maximizes your skills. Search for new opportunities while preserving confidentiality – and your current job.
About Premium Staffing Inc.
Connecting specialized talent with top manufacturers.
Premium Staffing is a Chicago-area recruiting and staffing firm that specializes in heavy industrial, engineering and highly skilled manufacturing placement. Serving the Chicagoland area, and nationwide, since 2006, PSI works with talented professionals in engineering and manufacturing.
We don’t just hit and run either our clients or candidates. At PSI, we believe the core of our success is building relationships. We maintain long-term relationships with key manufacturers as well as engineering and manufacturing professionals.
Our mission is to be the best at identifying, qualifying and delivering highly specialized talent for our client companies.
Contact PSI today to access experienced manufacturing professionals or great engineering opportunities.